Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Goodbye Red Doggy, Hello Chicken Pox

After a few beautiful posts from our family trip to Belize I suppose it was time for a reminder that life ain't always sunshine and rainbows. It has been a very rough few weeks in our house. Immediately after returning from Belize Aiden got the flu followed by Alexander getting the chicken pox. Yes, the chicken pox! He was vaccinated right before our vacation, rarely but sometimes children can have a "breakthrough" form of pox. The poor kiddo got it all over his face, head, neck and arms. Just as he started to recover the healing blisters got infected and he is now on a round of antibiotics. Thankfully, my Mom was in town. It was not the fun visit I was looking forward to but the help was much needed. 
Besides being physically ill, the boys have been particularly cranky. Crying and melting down for hours at a time. Biting, hitting, lack of sharing, night awakenings; between the two there has been virtually no peace! I have been so out of sorts with everything that I have been up during the nights with heartburn and my right hand broke out in a stress induced form of eczema and blistering. Mommy clearly needs a break!
 
During all of this Aiden has also regressed in his potty training and has decided that his toys are the appropriate place to go pee pee! Funny yes, but not so funny to clean up. I grew up with sisters, so boys peeing off balconies and in toys is uncharted territory. With the temporary return of "potty treats" and a few good scoldings I think this habit may have come to an end.
 
In response to all of this bad behavior we finally took away Aiden's beloved "red doggy." Red doggy is a little red stuffed dog with a pacifier on the end. Aiden is VERY attached and we have been dreading this day for a long time. We felt like part of the crying fits had to do with wanting the doggy, which was normally limited to bedtime. I hate to say it, but after two straight hours of crying I would indeed buckle and put him in his room with it just for some quite! Aiden is obsessed with planes and the airport so one night we told him that red doggy was going away on a plane so we asked him to put doggy in a suitcase so he could go to the airport. At first Aiden was ecstatic thinking they were going on a plane ride together. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was not going with and his response was heartbreaking. It was not a fit but rather desperation and probably the kind of reaction I would give if someone had told me a loved one has passed away. It was very had to watch but Aiden only cried for half an hour that night before falling asleep and has not needed nor asked for the red doggy since. In its place Aiden is already attached to a new stuffed animal and blanket, with no pacifiers strung on. I think his dentist would approve! His behavior has also greatly improved since red doggy flew away. Albeit he is two and a half with a pesty one year old brother so I can only ask for so much ;-) The last few days with both the boys have been great so hopefully it will be good health and attitudes from here on out (or at least for a little while)!
 
The Beloved Red Doggy

Ironically, these photos were taken on a plane!
 
Here are a few photos of our adorable little monsters enjoying a recent trip to the zoo, visiting the California Science Senter to see the Endeavor space shuttle and playtime at home. Happy Wife = Happy Life??? Nope... Happy Kids = Happy Life! And busy kids are happy kids in the Darlington household.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment