What is EC? It is the idea of using timing, signals and intuition to address your child's need to "eliminate" and help direct them to the toilet instead of the diaper. It is practiced in many countries, mostly because diapers or too costly or not available at all. Is the States it is common to wait until your child can verbally tell you they need to use the restroom at the age of three or four and has become normal to do so. I know the task is mostly up to me. The hardest part will be sticking too it and not succumbing to simply leaving him in his diaper which is so easy and accepted in our society.
How are we trying it? I sit Aiden on the toilet when it looks like he is straining and getting ready to go. Also after each nap when I normally would be changing his diaper anyways. Luckily Aiden really likes sitting on his potty and looking at books! In addition I am starting to use cloth diapers sporadically (I am too lazy to use them all the time). Disposables are so absorbent these days it does not allow a baby to feel the wetness and let them know what has happened. We have been practicing for about a week now and today was our first success with two #2's and two #1's!!! Maybe today was a lucky day or maybe we are starting to get the hang of it. Time will tell...
- 50% of the world's children are potty trained by the age of one
- if your child is training around the age of three, this means 9,000 diaper changes and over $3,000 in diapers alone
- the US uses $22 billion in disposable diapers a year
You mean he did 2 #2's and 2 #1's on the actual potty? After about a week of practice? You go Mama!! I would love an update after a week or two. Let me know.
ReplyDelete